If the descent rate is approximately the same rate as freefall, the unit will activate at approximately 750 ft (default setting, same as the Expert), but if the descent rate is lower than freefall speed and still above 29mph (e.g. with partially opened canopy), the unit will activate at approximately 1000 ft (300m) AGL (default setting).
It is recommended that the Student unit be turned off in the event that the jump is aborted as the vertical descent rate of the aircraft may be fast enough to activate the unit.
The CYPRES Advantage & Features
- Unrivaled RELIABILTY
- 32+ years of experience
- 5,200+ saves
- Has accompanied more than 165 Million jumps
- 268,000+ units produced
- Has never failed to activate and cut the loop when the conditions were met*
- 15.5 year lifetime warranty.**
- No user battery replacement – no cost to user for batteries.
- Predictable cost of ownership.
- User-Selectable Activation Altitude.
- Dropzone offset.
- Superior cutter design has always cut the reserve closing loop cleanly, even with no tension on the loop.
- Unique V-cut technology applies full force in one cutting intersection.
- Waterproof: 8 foot depth for 24 hours.
- Proactive, scheduled voluntary maintenance to ensure continued accurate operation and to perform any applicable updates.
- Automatically tracks weather changes throughout the day and adjusts accordingly.
- Unit information accessible via control unit display:
- Flight counter
- Serial number
- Next possible maintenance date
- Select scale of feet or meters
- User-Selectable Activation Altitude
*Given that the CYPRES was correctly installed and that the parameters to warrant an activation were met, including but not limited to the loop being properly routed through the cutter. Per our current knowledge as of April 2023.
**If both maintenances have been performed within the scheduled time frame.