The Speed CYPRES is designed to activate reliably in all “regular” freefall situations (without special equipment or pilot chute) when no canopy is out. For some activities the Speed CYPRES may not be suitable!!
Already the Expert CYPRES may not activate during a wingsuit jump because the vertical speed can be too low; there is even less of a chance that the Speed CYPRES will activate on a wingsuit emergency situation. Although for decades, the original 78mph (35m/s) speed needed to activate the Expert CYPRES had not been achieved under a fully inflated canopy, today there are an increasing number of canopy pilots that can reach these speeds on every jump (performing high speed landing approaches). So, their choice will be the Speed CYPRES to avoid an unwanted reserve deployment during their landing approach.
However, the Speed CYPRES will activate under an open main if the vertical speed is pushed at or above 102mph (46m/s), close to or below the activation altitude and above 330 ft. In case you exceed this vertical speed, then the Speed CYPRES should be switched off.
The number of fatalities involving fully open parachutes show that these actions enhance the risk of skydiving dramatically. Please take all of this into consideration before making your choice.
The CYPRES Advantage & Features
- Unrivaled RELIABILTY
- 30+ years of experience
- 5,000+ saves
- Has accompanied more than 146 Million jumps
- 225,000+ units produced
- Has never failed to activate and cut the loop when the conditions were met*
- 15.5 year lifetime warranty.**
- No user battery replacement – no cost to user for batteries.
- Predictable cost of ownership.
- User-Selectable Activation Altitude.
- Dropzone offset.
- Superior cutter design has always cut the reserve closing loop cleanly, even with no tension on the loop.
- Unique V-cut technology applies full force in one cutting intersection.
- Waterproof: 8 foot depth for 24 hours.
- Proactive, scheduled voluntary maintenance to ensure continued accurate operation and to perform any applicable updates.
- Automatically tracks weather changes throughout the day and adjusts accordingly.
- Unit information accessible via control unit display:
- Flight counter
- Serial number
- Next possible maintenance date
- Select scale of feet or meters
- User-Selectable Activation Altitude
*Given that the CYPRES was correctly installed and that the parameters to warrant an activation were met, including but not limited to the loop being properly routed through the cutter. Per our current knowledge as of Nov. 2020.
**If both maintenances have been performed within the scheduled time frame.